It's raining, which must mean the school holidays are about to start. There are a couple of ways you can look at this, I like to think the rain is here now, so that the grass is all nice and green for the children to play on in the six weeks of unbroken sunshine to follow.
There really is nothing better than the summer holidays though, rain or shine. And, as all you parents and grandparents will know there's nowhere better to spend those sunny days than out in our wonderful parks, or in one of our fabulous National Parks.
The National Parks are celebrating with a wide range of activities, there is something for everyone. Why not try :
- travelling back in time to experience life in an Iron Age hut in Pembrokeshire
- archery in the Lake District or North York Moors
- deer-watching on Exmoor
- a family fun day in the Peak District or Lake District
- canoeing (in the Lake District of course !)
- tree planting in the Cairngorms
- or of course a wonderful walk (in any of the National Parks!), and if you fancy learning more about the myths and legends of Dartmoor at the same time you can do that too.
Or if you fancy getting out in the fresh air closer to home next week there's lots going on in your local parks - check out the 'love your parks' website to see what's happening in your area.
We all know one thing that really spoils a day out in the sunshine though ... and that's why the Dog's Trust, and local authorities everywhere are once again supporting 'Poop Scoop week'. So if you are heading out with your trusty pet this holiday, make sure you have some bags with you !